A traditional whiteboard has been an integral part of meeting rooms and classrooms since the mid-90s and since then it has made planning and sharing ideas, collaborating and working as a team simple. As of today, there
A quick disclaimer before we begin:
This article is not sponsored by either of the software mentioned and is solely based on our usage experience of the same. Please note, it’s 21st century and data is very valuable. We encourage our readers to grant access to your personal data, to only those apps and services, whom you trust.
Jamboard is a whiteboard device, launched by Google as a part of G Suite in 2016. However, you can use the software for free from a browser or download the app from Play Store. In this article, we will list the features you can find on the free version of Google Jamboard.
- Tools – Google Jamboard allows you to choose between Pen, Marker, Highlighter and Brush with an option to erase. Moreover, you can also put up sticky notes. You get to choose a few different colours to differentiate between your notes.
- You can create up to 20 frames per Jam which are nothing but the current screen you are working on making it easy for collaboration.
- Handwriting Recognition and Shape Recognition – One of the most impressive features of Google Jamboard is handwriting and shape detection. However, this feature is absent in the browser version and is only active once you select the respective options from the menu.
- Collaboration – Google Jamboard allows to add people to you Jam with permission to edit or just read your Jam. You can connect to meetings with a meeting ID.
- Sharing – Jams you own are saved in your Google Drive. Google Jamboard allows you to share your Jams via email or any such services in a PDF format or an image (by frames).
- Cross-Platform – It is important for whiteboard software to be cross-platform. Google Jamboard is available on Android, iOS and as a Web app that can be accessed with Google Chrome. The Android app allows you to operate your phone as a remote while connecting to a physical Jamboard via Bluetooth.
Microsoft Whiteboard is designed to collaborate with colleagues and work on projects seamlessly even if they are miles apart. Microsoft Whiteboard is currently available for Windows and iOS and only a preview is available of the web app for commercial users. If you wish to check it out, you can download Microsoft Whiteboard from here. Today we are reviewing Microsoft Whiteboard for Windows.
- User Interface – Microsoft Whiteboard has a clean UI with sufficient workspace. Microsoft allows you to change the background to suit your requirements from the menu. You can also customise the colours of the pen tools by double-clicking on them.
- Tools – Microsoft Whiteboard allows you to express your ideas with the help of pens (four having basic colours and two multi-coloured) and a highlighter. You can also draw straight lines with the ruler tool with an eraser to fine-tune your scribbles. You can add sticky notes along with images from your computer or via Bing search and have your drawings move around with the selection tool.
- Ink to Shape and Ink to Table – You can find these options from the menu at the top corner. Having these options activated will automatically change your strokes into a shape or a clean table to represent your data.
- Collaboration – By clicking the add symbol, you can create a shareable link with which other collaborators can join your workspace. The collaboration experience is seamless and the changes appear real-time.
- Sharing – The changes you make to your whiteboard are saved automatically and you can share your drawing and planning by exporting it as a png image.
The Final Verdict
After using Google Jamboard and Microsoft Whiteboard excessively for collaboration and planning, we found both to be extremely helpful. Google Jamboard excels at being cross-platform with it being available on the Web, iOS and Android, while Microsoft Whiteboard shines with its simpler UI, customizability and real-time sync and faster performance overall. We highly recommend